Here are some tips to help you create your cool home for the Regional Building Competition Summer 2020/21
Does your design incorporate the following features?
Orientation and shading
- House orientated with the long axis running east to west to minimise the wall area exposed to morning and afternoon sun.
- A cool open plan living area to the north, away from the summer sun. Generous eaves (minimum 800mm) to shade walls and windows.
- Verandas, external shading devices, trees and shrubs to shade walls and windows, particularly on east and west.
- Any windows exposed to the sun tinted to keep out the heat.
- An open plan design with minimal hallways and fewer internal walls for good cross ventilation.
- Natural air-flow encouraged by use of large, wide opening windows and doors.
- A minimum of two openings in each room for cross ventilation.
- Windows and doors placed to capture prevailing south-easterly and north-easterly winds.
- Roof cavity ventilated with roof and eave vents to reduce heat build-up.
Building materials and colours
- Lightweight building structures used as they cool quickly at night.
- If using concrete block walls, these are well shaded to keep them cool.
- Light colours selected for roof and walls to reflect the heat.
- Functional outdoor living areas created that are weatherproof, well ventilated and centrally located.
- Courtyard spaces between pavilions incorporated to create useable outdoor areas and provide access for breezes to enter the home.
- Outdoor spaces linked to internal living areas with large bi-fold or sliding doors to bring the outdoors in.
- Large ceiling fans selected to reduce the need for air-conditioning.
- Solar power and solar hot water selected to access free energy from the sun.
In the garden
- Garden plan developed to compliment your home design. Vegetation incorporated into design to shade your roof and walls and direct breezes into rooms.
- Native plants planned in the garden to reduce the need for watering and to attract native fauna.
- Veggie garden incorporated into plan to provide the family with nutritious fresh food.
- Rainwater tank included to provide water for the garden and to fill the pool.